My name is Joe and I live in Eltham. I'm 43 and I'm a full time cabbie
1. Why did you become a London Taxi driver ?
It was kind of an insurance policy. I always thought that I could do the knowledge. I did the knowledge as a back up to my job. My foresight (only known occurrence) was rewarded as I got made redundant just as I got my drop to 21's. I got my badge 5 months later on New Years Eve which was brilliant (had that night off!).
2. What did you do before you became a Taxi driver ?
I was a Contracts Manager for a building services firm.
3. What do you love most about London ?
The endless movement and changes mean that there's always something new going on. Also, the wonderment that foreign visitors feel when here.
4. What do you most dislike about London ?
The price of property. Our kids have got no chance.
5. Are you a day man or night man reason why ?
I work afternoons til the early hours. The chance to get around town with less traffic than during the day.
6. What is your favourite place or view ?
I like the new views you get when buildings are demolished, letting you see sights you've not seen before, like Arthur Street coming over London Bridge.
7. Have you got an interesting fact about London that others may not know ?
London has more sports stadia with a capacity over 20,000 than any other city in the world.
8. Who's the most famous passenger you've had in your Taxi ?
Probably Barry McGuigan. My first celebrity. Such a lovely fella, by the time the journey had ended, he was sending on his regards to my family.
9. Have you got an interesting story about a passenger or job you've done ?
Nothing too crazy, but I've have, against the odds, picked a few people up more than once, including a guy two nights running who was only in town for 3 days.
10, What tips would you give to a tourist ?
Take a stroll across the South Bank. You get to see a different view of London from the Thames.
And always talk to your cabbie, you'll learn something.