This week we talk to Gary from Essex, a relatively new cab driver or Butter-boy as we like to call them (But a boy). Gary talks TFL crazy ideas & getting a glaring stare from a Premier League manager.
1. Why did you become a London Taxi driver ?
I wanted to be my own boss!
2. What did you do before you became a Taxi driver ?
I was a Duct Erector/Mechanical Engineer
3. What do you love most about London ?
The General Mix of London, The History of the Tower of London to the flashing lights of Piccadilly, all types of people punks in Camden, tourists, hipsters, City workers. It has everything no other place like it.
4. What do you most dislike about London ?
The Traffic and the silly ideas that TFL cook up, Cycle Super Highway, Tottenham Court Road, Pitfield Street etc. all to help cyclists whilst creating congestion and more pollution elsewhere.
5. Are you a day man or night man & reason why ?
Afternoons to early mornings, I don't like having an alarm. I don't have any kids so I come into work when I wake (he says with a grin).
6. What is your favourite place or view ?
Waterloo Bridge. I Will never get bored of driving over it and seeing the views.
7. Have you got an interesting fact about London that others may not know ?
The largest clock face in London is actually the Shell Mex building and not Elizabeth Tower/Big Ben.
8. Who's the most famous passenger you've had in your Taxi ?
Pathetic List really... Dynamo the magician. Jamie Redknapp. Ed Balls (on Ed balls Day ha) Mathew Wright, Andy Cole & Mark Hughes (who's turning I missed and shot me a look like I'd conceded a penalty in injury time of a cup final)
Also Sopia Boutella on a Film Premiere job
9. What tips would you give to a tourist ?
Don't stay rooted in West London!
Venture over to East London, there are loads of restaurants, bars, pop up shops, Spitalfields market & Street art tours.